Friday 5 August 2016

Graffiti Pocket by Melissa Struhs

Good Morning Colour Blast fans! I can't believe this week marks the start of my 2nd term on the Design Team. The first 6 months flew by and now we have so many more products to play with and new team members to get to know.

I am sure that most people have some scrapping disasters from time to time and then you have to figure out where to go from there...do you throw it in the bin and start again? Or do you put it aside until inspiration guides you in creating a great cover up?

So in the spirit of sharing it all, my original layout has been added to the too hard basket and I have just continued on with the embellishments I had planned. It has ended up being a layered pocket that will eventually become the focus of my "fixed" design. More about that later!!!


The wood veneer frame was covered with a dark orange ink and given one coat of the
Tangareen Dream Colour Embossing powder.


Once heat set, it had a dimpled and textured effect and to make the frame pop even more, a black cardstock backing was added. My photo had a sanded edge and was layered diagonally over the lower edge of the frame.


I really wanted to break up the straight edges, so I started digging in the metal filigree container, I found quite a few pieces that could create the finish I was after.


Along the edges of a kraft envelope, I stencilled a distressed brick finish with a heavy gesso...


the height and thickness is divine.


The remaining gesso that was on my palette knife was lightly stippled onto some of the metal embellishments, this created a roughened base...


for sprays to be added to...the brand new Colour Sprays in Bubblegum and Sunset
create a matt finish,


and were them teamed with the Colour Shimmer Sprays in Lipstick and Tangareen Dream
for a little bling.


The kraft pocket was flicked with the Colour Shimmer sprays too, leaving bold shimmer over the stencilled edges and the outer edges.


Some metal embellishments were cut in half and layered with the "Colour Blasted" ones. Some under the pocket... 


some under and some over the wood veneer frame. I just kept shuffling them around until I was happy with the placement.


Here's a couple of close up images...


I was really happy with the overall effect, and as it turns out...it could be used as a pocket letter / tag. But, the big picture for me is to make a gigantic comeback and resurrect the original design that was cast aside. I plan on finishing it for my next blog post in 2 weeks time, wish me luck and pop back to see it done!

For the complete range of Colour Blast products, be sure to look for them on the Colour Blast website.



P.S. Here's a little teaser for what's to come...keep and eye out for some Colour Mica Powder ideas coming your way.


Till next time,
Mel







1 comment:

  1. Loving that orange burst of colour looks fantastic..xx

    ReplyDelete