Wednesday 14 September 2016

Follow Your Dreams Art Journal page with Melinda Sweetman

Hi there Colour Blast fans, Melinda here with you today with another art journal page entry!

I had so much fun putting this page together, playing with all the fabulous products in colours I wouldn't normally choose but I love, love, love the end result and hope that the owner of the journal loves it just as much!

So, onto my process! First up I applied a coat of gesso to both pages and then pulled out the assorted sprays in both the Colour Spray and the Colour Shimmer Spray I used for the base of my page. The colours I used are Coffee (Colour Spray), Mocha (Colour Spray), Leather (Colour Shimmer Spray), Bling (Colour Shimmer Spray) and Snow White (Colour Shimmer Spray). I grabbed a paint brush, a pallet to spray the colour into, some water and just started painting applying the mists with the paintbrush and adding a bit of water for a more water coloured look!


I just kept applying colour and water until I was happy with the way it looked :) After the base coat was dry I used both the brush and the end of the nozzle to apply some splatters in different sizes.


Next up was some of the beautiful Colour Paste in Leather applied through a feather stencil. In the end design this work is not in your face but I love all the depth and different texture in the pages!


Also, did you know that if you dry the Colour Paste with a heat gun you get this really cool, bubbly effect and as it cools it dries with a bit of a different texture than if you let it air dry! You can see it bubbling in the next photo!


After I had done that I wanted to add a bit more depth and texture so I went in with a couple of texture stamps from Darkroom Door and my versamark inkpad and 2 different colours of Colour Embossing Powder - I used Leather for the woodgrain and Bling for the dots.



Again, these are not super obvious but I really love how they turned out and the extra depth and texture it gives the pages!

Next up, time to do something with my chipboard pieces I had chosen. The Follow Your Dreams has been in my stash forever so Im not sure where it came from but those feathers are from Dusty Attic. I grabbed some white acrylic paint and the Snow White Colour Shimmer Spray, mixed them together and then gave all the chippy a couple of coats.


I used the left over paint mixture to put a quick coat of colour (mostly shimmer if I'm honest!!) on the flowers I had decided to use.

Some how I missed taking a photo but I decided I wanted to add a bit more to the background so I went in with another stencil and some more Colour Paste - this time in Snow White and Bling.

Here is the close up of how that looks on the finished page.


After everything was dry I assembled all the bits and here is the finished product with a few close ups!

The completed pages, don't those colours look so pretty together?!


The main cluster


And an extra close up of the detail in the main cluster


The top right hand side cluster


And a close up of the same cluster


That's it for me for today, I hope I have inspired you to play with your products! Just because those "sprays" are sprays doesn't mean you need to use them that way! They are super fun and versatile to use as sprays or watercolours or flicking, experiment and make sure you head on over to the FB group here to share your fun creations!

Thanks so much for stopping by and see you soon!

Melinda



No comments:

Post a Comment