Friday 16 September 2016

"Shimmer Dusted Owls" by Melissa Struhs

Happy Friday Colour Blast Fans!
It seems that we are excited about the Brand New Shimmer Dusts, we got a great response at the Brisbane Show in June when the first six colours were released...but the next release has opened up so many more combinations.
Today's project was all about playing with a few of those on a stamped images on a couple of simple cards.




The first step is to choose an acrylic stamp with the image of your choice and then stamping it onto watercolour paper with a black Staz On ink.


Generally, I usually stamp far more images than I think I will need, this usually gives me a chance to play while I choose combinations as I play and make mistakes.


With the range of Shimmer Dusts now in 13 gorgeous colours, I figured I would create a little sampler to help fine tune some ideas.


Sometimes, it's nice to have the visual in front of you...I am such an planner!


Colour Shimmer Dust in Sunflower, Amber and Candy make a great combination in warm tones.


The dusts are a dye based powder with a burst of shimmery goodness... 


and only a small amount is needed,


just add a few droplets of water and mix until diluted to create watercolours.


Before I started work on the stamped images, I sprayed the watercolour paper...


this allows anything you add from here, a chance to spread and blend into each other.


The more you add, the more intense colour you achieve. You can simply drop it on with a pipette or flick it on with a paintbrush.


Or you can paint it in with a fine brush, add the colours where you like to create symmetrical


or ombre looks.



Here's another combination that I loved...


Colour Shimmer Dusts in Peacock and Navy


Same techniques...


very different look everytime...


but this time in cooler tones of colour.


Once they were all dry, the images were fussy cut and I used the different variations I had created to layer them into a 3D style owl as a simple embellishments for cards.

I hope this gives you another reason to dig through your stash of stamps so you can team them with the Colour Blast Shimmer Dusts this weekend. Thanks for stopping by for a closer look,
Till next time,
Mel.



No comments:

Post a Comment