Saturday 11 February 2017

Nu-Ni-Corn Riding by Skai Mitchell


Salutations Arty Peeps...

Today is my first official blog post as a Colour Blast Design Team member and I've been counting down this day since I first was welcomed onto the team. I'm looking forward to sharing my work with you and hopefully inspiring you to create some beautiful art with these amazing products.

My first share today is a bright and colourful page, and features my daughter Trinity. We are a bit of a wired and wonderful family and we have kooky names for things. Somehow we ended up calling unicorns 'Nu-Ni-Corns' when she was a baby and it has just stuck. 


To begin my page I always use Marshmallow Heavy weight cardstock as my back ground base. This is specially designed for mixed media and wet mediums, and can take a fair bit of water and still retain its quality. 


I've selected the Colour Sprays to use for the base layer of the background in Saffron, Bubblegum and Carribean



To begin with spray the Saffron in random bursts. I always use yellow first, so the following colours don't mix with it and make 'mud'. Allow the yellow to dry before you use your next colour, either air drying or with a heat gun.


Next I spray the Bubblegum around the page and allow it to dry.


Next spray the Carribean in the left over white spaces to fill the page.


Unscrew the lid of the Bubblegum and using the plastic straw flick and splatter to add random accents. 


Using a stencil and pallet knife I have applied some of the Colour Paste in Lipstick and Singin the Blues. Try not to be to precise when doing this, and you will end up with a nice marbled effect.


The Colour Sprays dont just need to be used on paper. Here I've used a combination of colours on plain white cotton ribbon to give it a tie-dye effect. I've cut a section and using a sewing machine have attached it directly to my page as a embellishment feature. 


I hope you have enjoyed my first layout of 2017and im looking forward to sharing my art with you... 

Cheers - Skai


No comments:

Post a Comment