Tuesday 9 May 2017

Eat, Sleep, Be Cute, Repeat with Melinda Sweetman

Hi there Colour Blasters, it's Melinda here with you today and I am sharing a sweet frame I made for a baby shower today!

This all came together pretty quickly (besides the stitching ;) ) and is so easy to re-create, I hope you follow along and get some inspiration!

First up, I started with my white cardstock and a cut file from the Silhoutte store. I chose to cut parts of the file with the blade to back with papers and chose to use my sketch pens to draw out some of the words for me to colour and then hand stitch around.

The very first thing I did after peeling the paper off the cutting mat was to do the water colouring. I used a pointy pallet knife to add a tiny bit of both the Paris and the Lush Colour Shimmer Dusts to my tray.


Now, don't let the colour of the dry dust confuse you!! These are both green colours and are STUNNING!!

The magic is when you add water ;) You can then see the true colour and all the beautiful shimmer. Which is exactly what I did next using a pipette, straight into the little wells.


Give them a good mix up and you get your shimmery, colourful watercolour-y media ready to go! I used a small-ish paintbrush and simply added colour to each outlined letter. I used a mix of both the Lush and Paris to give different shades and a little more depth to the words for a little more interest.

After that was dried, I went around all the coloured words with my pokey tool and poked holes about 1/4" all the way around for my stitching.


Me being me, I managed to smudge a little colour where I didn't want it - to rectify I quick grabbed a paper towel and mopped up as much of the colour as I could. I wasn't able to get all the colour up so I decided next up to add a few sprinkles of the green colours in diagonal across the page using the same paint brush - smudge covered, woohoo!!

Next up was the hand stitching. I chose a green coloured embroidery thread that matched pretty well to the Shimmer Dusts I had used. Now, this can be quiet time consuming but I love, love, love the finished product so am happy to put the time and effort in. I use a simple back stitch. Up from the back of the paper, down the next pierced hole, back up through the next hole and then back through the previous pierced hole etc etc.


I wanted to a little extra texture and interest so pulled out a star stamp (from a Christmas set!!) and stamped with my embossing ink the same diagonal as the green splatters and then heat embossed the very pretty Snow White Colour Embossing Powder. 


Oh lala, this is looking beautiful!

When that was all done it was time to back the cut words. I have used some scraps of a very pretty wood grain paper in my stash and just outlined the back of each letter and then glued on the paper.

I popped it into the frame I had purchased and I couldn't be happier with the end result!!


I really hope the parents-to-be love it but I am pretty certain it will be a hit!

Here are a couple of close ups






If you would like to see the whole process there is a process video available, just click on the play button below!



I hope this has inspired you to create something a little different and perhaps something off the page! 

Please remember to share all of your Colour Blast creations over in the Colour Blast Creative Corner FB group, we really do love seeing what you are creating!!

Until next time, happy scrapping!


Melinda

No comments:

Post a Comment