Wednesday 11 October 2017

"Cino Time" by Sue Plumb


Hi everyone! 
Sue Plumb here, and it's time for me to share another mixed media project created for Colour Blast. Today I have 12x12" scrapbook layout featuring a background made with some gorgeous Colour Pastes and a photo of my beautiful girl enjoying a babycino while on a day out with her grandparents. (Frothed milk buys so much happiness doesn't it?)




The first thing I had to consider when creating this page was my design. As the colours in the photo were largely neutral, I decided to use my daughter's shirt as inspiration - choosing a white background with pink / red accents on it. 

To start, I chose to use a mandala stencil as it provided a large feature pattern, which instantly grounded my page design. I used a combination of 'Fire Engine' and 'Blush' Colour Pastes, applying a combination of the two colours through various areas of the stencil with a palette knife until the entire pattern had been filled.



Once all the paste had been applied I took 'Blush' Colour Shimmer Spray and 'Road Base' Colour Spray, and splattered some of each around my page. I then set it aside to dry.



Once all my mediums were dry, it was time to start adding some papery layers to define my focal area for my photo to be placed. I took the opportunity to do a bit of stash busting - using up some papers from an old 6x6" pad; some printed tissue paper; a coloured paper doily; printed transparency; a die cut label and washi tape. (I love being able to utilise old products!)



After I had my photo mat in place, I added some frayed gauze on top for texture and then my photo. I then added a Charms Creations heart on the corner of my photo with some messy cotton thread and a Cocoa Vanilla Studio flair button on top. 
The final thing my page needed was a title. Instead of using alpha stickers, I decided to pull out my 'Dusty Charcoal' Colour Shimmer Cube, a water brush and a cardstock offcut and simply hand paint my title. Once dry, it was fussy cut and adhered to my layout.



Here you can see the gorgeous variation in colour that is achieved by using two different Colour Pastes through the stencil - in some areas the 'Blush' is more prominent, whilst in others it is the 'Fire Engine'. This technique works well when you have two shades from the same color family.



You will note that in some areas my stencilling was a bit smeared - this was entirely due to the fact that I haven't taken care of this old stencil, and it is no longer entirely flat. This doesn't bother me at all, as you can see from the style of rest of the layout that I wasn't looking for perfection anyway - I like things a bit messy! ;)



Look at all those luscious layers! And I am pretty happy with my simple title too. (A great way to create titles if you are on a budget - much cheaper than alphas and more fun to do too!)



Thanks for stopping by the blog and checking out my project today. I hope I have inspired you to pull out your Colour Pastes and maybe try blending them too? Or even have a go at creating your own hand painted title? Whatever you decide to do - just be creative, it's good for the soul!

I'll be back again in a couple of weeks with another project to share.
Until then, happy scrapping!


No comments:

Post a Comment